September 23, 2022 – St. John’s, NL: Eastern Health advises that all adults, adolescents, and children, five to 11 years of age, are now eligible for a fall COVID-19 booster. Individuals are eligible regardless of the number of COVID-19 vaccine doses they have previously received. Individuals are also encouraged to receive their booster dose 20 weeks from their last vaccine dose or three months from COVID-19 infection.
In addition, the Moderna Spikevax Bivalent COVID-19 vaccine is available for those at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19. Based on provincial vaccine availability, and consistent with NACI recommendations, initial eligibility criteria for the bivalent vaccine include:
- Adults 65 years of age and older;
- Residents of long-term care facilities or congregate living settings for seniors;
- Individuals 12 years of age or older with an underlying medical condition that places them at high risk of severe COVID-19 disease;
- Adults in or from First Nations, Metis, or Inuit communities, where infection can have disproportionate consequences;
- Adults in racialized communities and/or marginalized communities (e.g. people living with disabilities) disproportionately affected by COVID 19; and
- Residents of other congregate care settings (e.g. shelters, group homes, correctional facilities) who are 18 years of age or older.
Individuals may continue to book appointments at various clinics throughout the Eastern Health region by visiting www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/vaccine/gettheshot/. The public is reminded that they should not schedule an appointment for a vaccine if they are a close contact of a case and are isolating or if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. If they are experiencing symptoms, they should complete a COVID-19 Assessment by clicking here.
Significant efforts have been made to ensure that public health measures are in place for the protection of those receiving their vaccines as well as for health-care staff. Individuals are required to self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms at the entrance, be required to wear a mask, and observe good infection prevention and control practices.
For up-to-date information on the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19.