April 21, 2023: Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services advises the public that emergency services at U.S. Memorial Health Centre in St. Lawrence will be temporarily closed due to human resource challenges. The temporary closure will take place from:
Monday, April 24, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, May 1, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
While emergency services are closed, primary health care (i.e. family practice clinic appointments) continue to be available. To make an appointment for the family practice clinic (in-person or virtual), outpatient laboratory services and ambulatory treatment services, individuals may call 709-873-2330. Appointments for laboratory and medical imaging services are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Patients requiring emergency services during the closures should call 911 or proceed to the Burin Peninsula Health Care Centre or the Dr. S. Beckley Clinic in Grand Bank if they feel they have a serious or urgent medical problem. (more…)
September 27, 2022 – St. John’s, NL: Media are invited to attend Eastern Health’s Annual General Meeting at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, September 29, 2022. This year’s event will be held virtually and in person.
During the meeting, an overview of the accomplishments and challenges relating to Eastern Health’s strategic priorities during the 2021-22 fiscal year will be presented by Leslie O’Reilly, Chair of the Board of Trustees, and Kenneth Baird, President and CEO (interim) of Eastern Health. The past fiscal year marked the completion of the second year of Putting Excellence into Action, Eastern Health’s Strategic Plan for 2020-23. The plan outlines the organization’s five priority areas including Access, Quality and Safety, Population Health, Healthy Workplace and Sustainability and indicates how performance is measured in each area.
Members of the media who would like to attend can do so by contacting Tracey Boland, media relations manager, at the email or phone number below by noon on Wednesday, September 28, 2022.
Members of the public who would like to join virtually can register by visiting Eastern Health’s website at https://www.easternhealth.ca/about-us/achieving-our-aim/.
– 30 –
August 30, 2022 – St. John’s, NL: Kenneth Baird, President and CEO of Eastern Health (Interim), Michelle House, President and CEO of Western Health (Interim), and Heather Brown, President and CEO of Labrador-Grenfell Health, will hold a virtual media availability tomorrow (Wednesday, August 31) at 11:00 a.m. to discuss the mammography multi-patient occurrence. They will be joined by Dr. Angela Pickles, Clinical Chief Medical Imaging, Eastern Health. (more…)
November 25, 2021 – St. John’s, NL: Eastern Health will hold a media availability today as the first doses of COVID-19 vaccine are delivered to children ages 5-11 in Newfoundland and Labrador. (more…)
October 18, 2021 – St. John’s, NL: Eastern Health and BD-Canada will announce a new MedTech partnership tomorrow, October 19, 2021. (more…)
September 28, 2021 – St. John’s, NL: Media are invited to attend Eastern Health’s Annual General Meeting at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 29, 2021. This year’s event will be held virtually and in person pending provincial public health guidelines and in accordance with the Together Again plan. (more…)
Eastern Health monitors the progress of severe weather conditions closely. In extreme weather conditions, please note that:
- Clinics, support groups and appointments may become rescheduled or cancelled.
- Individuals travelling long distances are encouraged to call ahead to make sure their appointments are not impacted by the weather.
- Patients and clients that are not able to present for a scheduled appointment should notify the respective health-care area(s). General contact information is available at: www.easternhealth.ca/contactus.
- Patients and clients are encouraged to check with their individual doctor’s office to confirm if their appointment is going ahead.
- If an appointment is cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, individuals will be contacted individually to have it rescheduled.
For general information on how to prepare for emergency situations, please visit: www.getprepared.ca.
Please consider your health needs prior to adverse weather and prepare for any emergencies.
Please take a moment now to consider your health needs during an emergency:
- Ensure that your medications and health-care supplies are in a safe, secure and easily accessible location in the event of flooding or an emergency evacuation.
- Create a list of important medical contacts that you can easily take with you if you should have to leave your home.
- Check on relatives or family members now who may need assistance if there is a power or phone interruption later; that way you can have your plan prepared.
- Have an updated list of neighbours or friends to call in the event of an emergency in an accessible place in your home.
- Have a reasonable supply of prescription medications on hand.
- Have a plan in place for extra oxygen supply and backup electrical power in the event of a power outage.
- Have a plan in place for backup electrical power for use in home dialysis.
- Know how to access medical services in your community or surrounding area during a communications outage or significant road closure event.
Services changes and related updates
Service changes and related updates due to adverse weather, or as a result of power outages, will be communicated via Eastern Health’s: News Centre, Facebook page and Twitter feed.
Always check local forecasts in your area for the most up-to-date weather information.
Contact information if you are in an emergency.
Public services announcements and news releases
Public service announcements, news releases and advisories associated with adverse weather conditions are available at: news.easternhealth.ca/news-advisories.
Eastern Health recognizes that the media are critical partners in helping to inform the public and to share a variety of messages about the organization’s programs and services, along with other public health and health-related information.
As a public institution, Eastern Health respects the media’s interest to obtain information about the organization. The Media Relations Policy outlines the kinds of information that can be released to the media, and the process for media inquiries, site visits, photography and filming requests, etc.
Eastern Health makes every effort to work with the media by being open, accountable, transparent and responsive with timely and accurate information; however, standards for communication with the media must first and foremost protect privacy.
Eastern Health has a moral and legal obligation to protect the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information and personal health information of our patients, clients, residents, staff and physicians as defined by legislation. Eastern Health is required to balance the public interest with the right to privacy in accordance with the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPPA) and the Personal Health Information Act (PHIA).
To protect the privacy of patients, clients, residents, staff and physicians, all visits by media to Eastern Health sites (including access to patient rooms, parking garages, clinics, office spaces, etc.) are authorized by Corporate Communications.
All media inquiries are facilitated by the Corporate Communications Department, including requests for interviews with physicians and/or employees, as well as interviews with patients, clients or residents in an Eastern Health facility. Inquiries are routinely facilitated during business hours.
Media Relations Manager