October 26, 2022 – St. John’s, NL: Eastern Health is hosting its annual living lab health innovation summit on October 26 and 27, 2022 at the new Health Innovation and Acceleration Centre, a space for Eastern Health and its innovation partners. This year’s theme is ‘Driving Value and Innovative Solutions through Collaborative Community Care.’ Over the course of two days, keynote speakers, presenters and panel discussions will explore and report on innovative ways to deliver primary health-care services, and various sessions will highlight achievements with innovation activities taking place in Newfoundland and Labrador.
“Innovation in Newfoundland and Labrador has been growing exponentially over the last several years and it touches all aspects of our lives including changing primary health-care delivery through collaborative team clinics. We are seeing the way it is helping our patients, clients and employees receive the best care, treatment and support possible,” said Ron Johnson, Vice President of Innovation and Rural Health for Eastern Health. “During the two-day innovation summit, attendees will hear from a number of speakers on establishing collaborative team clinics, updates on primary health-care delivery and innovations in the province and how health hubs in rural areas can improve access.”
Some of the key presentations at the summit include:
- Wednesday, October 26, 11:00 a.m. – Dr. Patrick Parfrey, one of the co-chairs of Health Accord NL, will speak on the implementation of sustainable collaborative team clinics.
- Wednesday, October 26, 11:40 a.m. – Jacqueline Lee and Dr. Stephen Ryan, PolyUnity Tech Inc., will provide an update on their work called Reimagining Better Healthcare Outcomes Through Additive Manufacturing.
- Thursday, October 27, 9:30 a.m. – David Diamond, interim CEO of the Newfoundland and Labrador Health Authority will provide an update on the ongoing work to establish a single health authority for the province.
- Thursday, October 27, 9:20 a.m. – Liam Kelly, Director of Research and Innovation, will provide an update on Eastern Health’s research and innovation activities. This session will provide an update on some of the achievements in health care since the introduction of a living lab for Eastern Health.
- Thursday, October 27, 10:45 a.m. – Moderated by Matt Roberts, founder of Spear Capital Strategy, panelists Florian Villaumé, CEO of techNL; Nancy Andrews, VP, Government Relations and Communications with Canada’s Ocean Supercluster; Chandra Kavanagh, Director of Bounce Health Innovation; Michelle Simms, President and CEO of Genesis; and Ron Johnson, VP of Research and Innovation with Eastern Health will provide an update on the Newfoundland and Labrador Innovation Ecosystem.
The goals of Eastern Health’s Innovation Strategy are to improve health-care services and programs through the application of innovative solutions; maximize health systems efficiencies and minimize associated costs by leveraging the innovation ecosystem to build partnerships and generate revenue; and generate economic development in the province and increase employment. For more information, please visit the Research and Innovation section of Eastern Health’s website.
About Eastern Health
Eastern Health is the largest, integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador employing approximately 13,000 dedicated employees, over 700 medical staff, and is supported by hundreds of volunteers, including members of numerous auxiliaries and fundraising foundations. With an annual budget of approximately $1.7 billion, the authority offers the full continuum of health and community services including public health, long-term care, community services, hospital care and unique provincial programs and services. Serving a population of over 300,000, Eastern Health’s geographic boundaries extend west from St. John’s to Port Blandford including all communities on the Avalon, Burin and Bonavista Peninsulas.