March 27, 2023 – St. John’s, NL: Eastern Health advises the public that emergency services at the Dr. Walter Templeman Health Care Centre on Bell Island will be temporarily closed due to human resource challenges. The temporary closures will take place on:
- Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. to Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
- Thursday, March 30, 2023 at 8:00 p.m. to Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
- Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, April 3, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Patients with a medical emergency who require an ambulance should call 911. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the NL HealthLine at 811. Those who feel they have a serious or urgent medical problem should proceed to their nearest emergency department.
If you are unsure whether you or a loved one should go to the Emergency Department, please call the NL HealthLine at 811 to speak with a registered nurse 24 hours, seven days a week. The HealthLine also has a nurse practitioner (NP) virtual care service that can prevent unnecessary emergency room visits for non-emergent issues. Appointments with NPs over the phone or by video are available everyday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., including weekends. Please note that appointments to see the 811 NP can usually be accommodated within three days.
While emergency services are closed, all other services will continue as usual, including:
- Long-term care
- Primary Health Care services (Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. except for statutory holidays). This includes the primary health care clinic, community health, laboratory and X-ray services, and outpatient services. Patients may call 709-488-2821 for an appointment.
- The Opioid Management Clinic (seven days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
Eastern Health thanks the public for their understanding as we continue to remain focused on the safe delivery of care for the people of the Bell Island area.